Watch a video to find out.
Stay logged in
Go to Navigation
Go to Content
Go to Search
Search the collections
Dressing in Steel: Part One
(00:37:39) 700 views
Dressing in Steel: Part Two
(00:20:04) 288 views
A Visit to the Armor Galleries
(00:30:21) 4369 views
Bashford Dean and the Creation of the Arms and Armor Department, 1904–1929
(00:30:12) 227 views
The Art of Arms and Armor: Challenges of Research, Display, and Education
(00:33:09) 321 views
Curators, Collectors, and Dealers: The Growth of the Arms and Armor Collection, 1929 to the Present
(00:36:37) 209 views
Pair of Wheellock Pistols
Flintlock fowling piece
Browse current and upcoming exhibitions and events.
This artwork is currently on display in Gallery 375
This fowling piece is one of the earliest firearms equiped with the flintlock of French construction. It was made for Louis XIII (reigned 1610–43) in the workshop directed by Pierre Le Bourgeois' brother, Marin (about 1550–1634), to whom the invention of the flintlock mechanism is traditionally ascribed. The decoration of the gun includes the crowned monogram of the king. The scroll-shaped end of the gunstock is an unusual and especially graceful feature of this gun's design.
Marking: Mark stamped on top of barrel near breech, a crossbow between letters PB, is attributed to Pierre le Bourgeois of Lisieux (d. 1627), brother of Marin (d. 1634) and Jean (d. 1615) le Bourgeois, both also arquebusiers in Lisieux.
Ex. coll.: Cabinet d'Armes of Louis XIII; Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia; William G. Renwick.Previously owned by Cabinet d'Armes of Louis XIII ; Previously owned by Hermitage Museum, Leningrad (?) ; Previously owned by William G. Renwick
© 2000–2013 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All rights reserved.