The Royal Abbey of Saint-Denis was the burial church for the rulers of France and their families. This elegant image once formed a part of the tomb effigy of the princess Marie de France (1326–1341) and her sister Blanche de France (1328–1393), daughters of Charles IV (1294–1328) and Jeanne d’Evreux (before 1313–1371). Although Marie died young, her effigy was not carved until about 1381 by the court sculptor Jean de Liège. The image here of the tomb is from a drawing made before 1715. Many of the tombs in the abbey were vandalized in the wake of the French Revolution. Originally the head rested upon a stone pillow, and the princess wore a metal crown. Her braided hair is arranged in the courtly fashion contemporary with the carving of the bust.