Quantcast

Back to browse highlights

Side Drum

Date:
1694–1733
Geography:
Dresden, Germany
Medium:
Copper alloy, wood, various materials
Dimensions:
H. 60.4 cm (23-1/2 in.) D. approximately 53.1 cm (21 in.)
Classification:
Membranophone-double-headed / cylindrical drum
Credit Line:
Gift of William H. Riggs, 1913
Accession Number:
14.25.1618
  • Description

    This side drum bears a magnificent royal cartouche with the cipher of Frederick Augustus II. Known by his nickname, "Augustus the Strong," he ruled as elector of Saxony (1694–1733) and king of Poland (1697–1704, 1709–33). The cartouche consists of many royal and military symbols, including a large crown, shields, swords, banners, and drums.

    This brass shell drum was certainly a military instrument that would have been used to signal troops in the field and to provide cadences for a marching army. The drum would have been worn on a sling to a player's side, and played with two large sticks. Across the bottom head are two cords—consisting of a single piece of twisted gut—that rattle against the head when the drum is played, giving the drum its characteristic "buzzy" sound. The player can adjust the tension on the snares with a wing nut that maneuvers a large j-hook snare strainer mounted on the shell.

  • See also
    What
    Where
    When
    In the Museum
    Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History
503818

Close