Return to Arms and Armor
Bashford Dean (1867–1928) in Japan about 1900 wearing a Japanese armor from his collection. Dean became the first curator of the newly created Department of Arms and Armor at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1912.
The collection of the Duc de Dino as it was installed in The Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1904. This was the first important acquisition of European arms and armor made by the Museum.
The Parisian armorer Daniel Tachaux (1857–1928), seen in his workshop at The Metropolitan Museum of Art about 1912.
A kindergarten class from Public School 116 visiting the Arms and Armor galleries in 1913.
William H. Riggs (1837–1923) in Paris about 1910; he donated his superb private collection of arms and armor to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1913.
The equestrian court of the Arms and Armor galleries showing the new installation of 1915 designed to incorporate the Riggs collection.
The staff of the Department of Arms and Armor in 1919.
A visit by the Camp Fire Girls to the armor galleries, March 10, 1928.
The armorer Leonard Heinrich (ca. 1900–1966) working on a prototype helmet for the U.S. Army in the Museum's Armor Shop in 1945.
The central court of the Arms and Armor galleries in the Pierpont Morgan Wing in 1967.
The Armor Shop in about 1994, where conservation, cleaning, and restoration of the collection has taken place since 1909.
The special exhibition Heroic Armor of the Italian Renaissance: Filippo Negroli and his Contemporaries was selected as exhibition of the year for 1996 by Apollo magazine.
The 2006 special exhibition Warriors of the Himalayas: Rediscovering the Arms and Armor of Tibet.
This jousting armor was installed in the Museum's Great Hall in 2012 to celebrate the centennial of the Arms and Armor Department. It was originally acquired in 1904.
The Arms and Armor Department was created on October 28, 1912. These historical images date from 1900 to 2012.