Friday, July 19, 2013, at 7:00 p.m. at The Temple of Dendur in The Sackler Wing
OM: At Giza
The music created by the duo OM—Al Cisneros, vocals and bass, and Emil Aimos, drums—is a dynamic arrangement of avant-garde metal and Tibetan and Byzantine chants. Since 2003, OM has released numerous albums, including a live recording of their concert in Jerusalem (2007) and their critically acclaimed, most recent album Advaitic Songs (2012). Having recently completed their European tour, the band makes their Met debut at The Temple of Dendur with an exclusive, site-specific version of their epic number "At Giza" from the 2006 album Conference of the Birds, plus some of their greatest hits. The band's name comes from the Hindu concept of Om—the natural vibration of the universe—a fitting description of the boundless melody and experimental vibe of their compositions.
About “At Giza,” Pitchfork said, “The languid, dub-tinged ‘At Giza’ is the band's most compellingly spare song to date. The title digs into the great pyramids and the words delve into those lake-sitting swans, the sun/waning moon, and seraphic forms. It's another Om avatar for a flight toward freedom/liberation.”
Tiny Mix Tapes prefaced a recent interview thus: “There’s something about our musical culture that demands us to fit the music we listen to in neat little boxes. And nobody knows the frustrations of such a paradigm more than Om. Formed in 2003 by the rhythm section of legendary sludge outfit Sleep … OM modified the tried-and-true chug of their former band into something entirely unfamiliar: an ambient, psychedelic approach to metal, influenced strongly by Eastern music. … The band’s latest LP, Advaitic Songs, out now on Drag City, is their most complex, and intricate, to date.”
This concert is presented in collaboration with Wordless Music.
Tickets: $27, unreserved seating
* For tickets, visit www.metmuseum.org/tickets or call 212-570-3949.
* Tickets are also available at the Great Hall Box Office, which is open Tuesday-Saturday 10-4:30 and Sunday noon-4:30.
* Tickets include admission to the Museum on day of performance.
* 30 & Under Rush: $15 tickets for ticket buyers 30 years and younger, with proof of age, the day of the event on select performances (subject to availability). For more information, visit www.metmuseum.org/tickets call 212-570-3949, or visit the box office.
* Bring the Kids!: $1 tickets for children (ages 7-16) for select performances when accompanied by an adult with a full-price ticket (subject to availability). For more information, visit www.metmuseum.org/tickets call 212-570-3949, or visit the box office.
May 20, 2013