- Attributed to Thomas Affleck (1740–1795)
- Made in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Mahogany, tulip poplar, yellow pine
- 39 1/4 x 22 3/8 x 22 1/4 in. (99.7 x 56.8 x 56.5 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Purchase, Anonymous Gift, in memory of Elizabeth Snow Bryce, 1983
- Accession Number:
Among the most ambitious of all early Queen Anne side chairs, this example has stiles with compound curves that conform to the design of the splat and a deeply undercut shell flanked by flowering vines in the crest rail. The overall design was borrowed directly from a popular English chair pattern.