- Auguste Rodin (French, Paris 1840–1917 Meudon)
- Cast by Alexis Rudier (French)
- first modeled probably in 1880, this bronze cast ca. 1910
- Height: 27 5/8 in. (70.2 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Gift of Thomas F. Ryan, 1910
- Accession Number:
In its position on The Gates of Hell, The Thinker occupies the center of the lintel and presides over the figures of the damned that populate the doors below. Behind him a chaotic dance of death takes place. He sits apart, stripped of clothing, and no symbol remains to assist us in his identification. He is perhaps the poet, the creator, the judge, the sculptor – all of these or none.