Section from a Qur'an Manuscript
- Object Name:
- Section from a non-illustrated manuscript
- ca. 1320
- Attributed to Egypt, probably Cairo
- Main support: Ink, opaque watercolor, and gold on paper
Binding: Leather; tooled
- 10 7/16 x 7 1/2 in. (26.5 x 19 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Purchase, Gifts in memory of Newton Foster, and funds from various donors, 2006
- Accession Number:
This section of a Qur‘an manuscript written on parchment contains verses 114-147 from Sura 4 (al-Nisa’, "of the women"). On the last page, the text is framed by a gilded border and is set inside cloud-bands against a background of scrolls. The style of the script is cursive muhaqqaq, canonized in the 13th century, that is of larger dimensions than naskhi and mainly employed for large Qur’ans.
The brown leather binding, gold-tooled in Mamluk style, is a recent addition.