- Isak Nielsen (Skaar) Botnen (Norwegian, 1669–1759)
- Trond Isaksen Flatebø (Norwegian, 1713–1772)
- Western Norway, Hardanger Region, Norway
- Pine, birch, and other woods, bone, lignum vitae and mother-of-pearl inlay.
- W. 18.4 x L. 56.4cm (7 1/4 x 22 3/16in.); Body L. 33.6 cm (13.23 in.)
- Credit Line:
- Gift of Miss Alice Getty, 1946
- Accession Number:
Not on view
Though the hardingfele was known as early as about 1650, Botnen maker of this instrument was responsible for the tradition that continues today.