Signature: Mounted before the painting is the artist's 4-character title in large, semi-cursive regular script (xingkai), with signature and three seals; "Shen Zhou inscribed"; after the painting is a poem and explanatory note by Shen Zhou, and his seals appear on the paper joins throughout the painting as well as after the inscription:
(13 columns in running script)
"It is more than one hundred years since Ni Zan observed
What remains are only a few trees that look old and spare.
What is left for this old fellow to continue
Are the long ranges piled up with level wastes in between.
This scroll follows the ideas of Ni Zan. Ni's brushwork is spare, mine is cluttered. Yet though he was sparing, his meaning was ample. That part is what is called the unlearnable."
Inscription: Artist's inscriptions and signatures
(Frontispiece with 4 large characters in semi-cursive script and 1 column in standard script):
Autumn Colors among Streams and Mountains
Shen Zhou inscribed.
(13 columns in semi-cursive script)
Tao Geng 陶賡 (active early 19th c.), 1 column in standard script, undated; 1 illegible seal (on brocade wrapper):
白石翁 《溪山秋色》 卷。逸品。陶賡題簽。
1. Yao Shou 姚綬 (1423–1495), 15 columns in semi-cursive script, undated; 3 seals:
2. Tao Geng 陶賡 (active early 19th c.) 7 columns in semi-cursive script, dated 1823; 3 seals:
道光癸未正月假讀沅薌所藏石田倣雲林畫卷，率占一律呈教。陶賡 [印]： 陶賡之印、松藏、臣汶印記
3. Luo Zhenyu 羅振玉 (1866–1940), 5 columns in semi-cursive script, dated 1915; 2 seals:
石田翁早嵗但有小品，傳世至少，而晚嵗之作流傳為多。此卷乃中晚年製。自稱仿雲林，實得力于梅道人者，並採源于北苑，元四家皆從北苑出也。蕭疎冷雋，為平生傑搆。雲東長于石田亦贊歎不已，豈虛譽耶？宣統乙卯七月仇亭老民羅振玉觀並題記。 [印]： 羅振玉印、羅叔言
Sun Yuwen 孫毓汶 （1833–1899）
Wang Yirong 王懿榮 （1845–1900）
Mu Si 穆思 （Earl Morse, 1908–1988）
Marking: Seals of the three colophon writers, plus six other collectors:
1. Shen Zhou: Zhushiting (Wang& Contag, p. 167 no. 7), before title: Shen Qinan, before title; Shitian (Wang& Contag, p. 168, no. 22), after signature to title: Shen, on joins; Sheshi Qinan, after inscription.
2. Yao Shou: Gongshou, before his inscription; Yüntong Yishi and Jiahe Yaoshi, after inscription.
3. Xiang Hongzi (1798–1835): Liansheng shending, after Yao Shou's inscription.
4. Tao Geng: Tao Geng zhiyin, after his colophon.
5. Yamamoto Teijirô (1870–1937): Zi Yüezhi Yüanting shuwu jiancang zhenji, Shijia and Guiyü Qian on title sheet; Qian and Leishan zhenshang on painting; Qian shuhua, after Yao Shou's inscription; Erfeng qingshang, on label and wrapper; Shanben shi Xiangxüe shuwu bingchenhou zhiyin, on wrapper; Guan zi zhenji shi jüe weizhe shen koxiao ye, on wrapper.
6. Mounter's seal: Wu Wenyü zhuang, at end of scroll.
7. Luo Zhenyü (1866–1940): Luo Zhenyü yin and Luo Shuyen; both after his colophon.
8. Sun Yüwen (act. ca. 1856): Wen (Wang& Contag, p. 560, no. 3) and Banchan sansu (Wang& Contag, p. 560, no. 7) after Yao Shou's inscription.