This chair is one of a pair closely related to a suite of furniture from the music room of the H. O. Havemeyer house, which Tiffany designed with Samuel Colman in 1891–92. The dense floral carving on the crest rail is typical of late-nineteenth-century Aesthetic decoration, in which nature is transformed into a stylized surface pattern. The brass-claw and glass-ball feet are also distinctive elements of this chair. The use of micromosaic marquetry-an unusual feature-along the arms and seat rail supports the attribution to Tiffany, who displayed furniture exemplifying this Indian-inspired technique at the Columbian Exposition in 1893. He described the ornament as "patterns . . . made of thousands of squares of natural wood, one sixteenth-of-an-inch in size, of different colors, and each individual square surrounded by a minute line of metal."