The piece passed down from Candace Wheeler to her granddaughter Candace Stimson, who donated it to the Wellesley College Art Museum in 1934. In 1952, Wellesley sold the piece to Castano Galleries in Boston. From there it made its way to the textile department of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. A curator from the MFA donated it to the Shelburne Museum in 1955. It remained there, stored in a barn until it was rediscovered during the course of the research preceding the opening of the 2001 Candace Wheeler exhibition at the MMA.