Watch a video to find out.
Stay logged in
Go to Navigation
Go to Content
Go to Search
Search the collections
Reliquary Shrine of Saint Barbara
Browse current and upcoming exhibitions and events.
This artwork is currently on display in Gallery 306
Bearing an unlikely combination of the mottos and arms of two dukes of Burgundy, Philip the Bold and Charles the Bold, this set is now believed to have been created in the Marcy workshop.
Inscription: On knife handle and on sheath, on side with coat of arms - AVLTRE (on other side of each) HARAI (on back of knife handle, in scroll) IE LAI-EMPRINS-BIENENAVverticalsquiggle
Also unidentified maker's mark (outlined D) and Q (elaborate)
Baron Max von Goldschmidt-Rothschild, Frankfurt-am-Main (sold 1950)
© 2000–2013 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All rights reserved.