This armor is composed of elements from three different armors, all made in southern Germany for Spanish patrons. The helmet, arm defenses, gauntlets, and leg defenses belong to a large garniture made in 1554 for the future Philip II of Spain (reigned 1556–98) by the leading armorers of Landshut, Wolfgang Grosschedel (recorded 1517–1562) and his son Franz (recorded 1555–1579). The elements of Philip's armor are distinguished by their decoration of stylized cloud bands. The associated breastplate, probably made in Augsburg about 1550, is decorated with the cross used by the Spanish knightly orders of Alcantara and Calatrava. The backplate, also made in Augsburg about 1550, appears to be part of an armor for Fernando Alvarez de Toledo (1508–1583), third duke of Alba. The gorget (collar) is Italian, made about 1580.