Watch a video to find out.
Stay logged in
Go to Navigation
Go to Content
Go to Search
Search the collections
Please enable flash to view this media. Download the flash player.
Please enable flash to view this media.
Download the flash player.
In the 1920s the Metropolitan began to explore filmmaking as part of its educational program, and in 1924 it released two films about arms and armor. In preparation for this new undertaking, Bashford Dean, the head of the Arms and Armor department, sought the advice of Hollywood professionals D. W. Griffith and John Barrymore. Once the scripts were complete, Dean left most of the actual work to his young assistant curators, Stephen V. Grancsay and Thomas T. Hoopes, who also appear in the films. A Visit to the Armor Galleries was especially popular and includes memorable scenes: a Gothic armor steps out of its vitrine to answer visitors' questions about the collection, a seesaw with a small child on one end and a medieval mail shirt on the other demonstrates the relatively modest weight of armor, and a fully armored knight on horseback gallops through Central Park, with Belvedere Castle (the park's weather station) rising picturesquely in the background. When actor Douglas Fairbanks Sr. viewed the film at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, he pronounced it "bully."
Dressing in Steel: Part One
(00:37:39) 699 views
Dressing in Steel: Part Two
(00:20:04) 285 views
A Visit to the Armor Galleries
(00:30:21) 4367 views
Bashford Dean and the Creation of the Arms and Armor Department, 1904–1929
(00:30:12) 227 views
The Art of Arms and Armor: Challenges of Research, Display, and Education
(00:33:09) 321 views
Curators, Collectors, and Dealers: The Growth of the Arms and Armor Collection, 1929 to the Present
(00:36:37) 208 views
Foot-Combat Helm of Sir Giles Capel (1485–1556)
Helm for foot combat
Morion for the Bodyguard of the Prince-Elector of Saxony
Browse current and upcoming exhibitions and events.
This artwork is not on display
For the tournament fought on foot in an enclosed field. Said to have come from Saint Mary's Church at Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, where it may have hung over the tomb of its owner.
© 2000–2013 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All rights reserved.