Charles Sterling and Margaretta M. Salinger. "XIX Century." French Paintings: A Catalogue of the Collection of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. 2, New York, 1966, pp. 97–98, ill., note that although the inscription has sometimes been read as 1858, the style of this picture indicates a date of 1868, adding that Daubigny's account book lists a picture of Portejoie ordered by the dealer Brame in 1868; state that Portejoie is a small village on the Seine near Louviers and mention a red chalk drawing of a similar composition in the Musée du Louvre, Paris; observe the influence of Constable.
Robert Hellebranth. Charles-François Daubigny, 1817–1878. Morges, Switzerland, 1976, p. 24, no. 53, ill., calls it "Bord de Seine, Triel" and reproduces two other versions with the same title, also dated 1868 (Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, H52; present location unknown, H54).
Robert Hellebranth. Letter to Mary Ann Wurth Harris. August 1, 1978, identifies the village as Triel, citing the title "L'Oise à Triel" assigned to another version of the composition in the 1894 Garnier sale catalogue (present location unknown; H54); comments that Triel is situated on the Seine, not the Oise, in a département known in Daubigny's time as Seine et Oise, today Yvelines.