Quantcast
Videos ()
Sunday at the Met: How the Cloisters Came to Be

Close

Pilaster of Angels Sounding Trumpets from the Parapet of a Pulpit

Workshop of Giovanni Pisano (Italian, Pisa ca. 1240–before 1320 Siena)

Date:
1302–10
Geography:
Made in Pisa, Tuscany, Italy
Culture:
Central Italian
Medium:
Marble (Lunense from Carrara (Italy), traces of paint
Dimensions:
Overall: 33 1/2 x 7 1/8 x 6 1/2 in. (85.1 x 18.1 x 16.5 cm)
Classification:
Sculpture-Stone
Credit Line:
Frederick C. Hewitt Fund, 1910
Accession Number:
10.203.1
  • Description

    The trumpet-blowing angels, heralding the Last Judgment once flanked a relief of Christ as Judge (now in Berlin) in the center. The central pilaster is composed of a compact group with symbols of the evangelists: the angel of Matthew at center, the ox of Luke at his left, and the lion of Mark on the right. The pilaster supported an eagle lectern, similar to the adjacent one, for the reading of the Gospels. The eagle of John thus completed a representation known as a tetramorph. Probably executed by assistants after designs by the sculptor Giovanni Pisano, the pulpit was finished in 1310. It was dismantled in 1603, then reconstructed in the cathedral in 1926.

  • Provenance

    Probably from pulpit of the Cathedral of Pisa, built 1302-1310, demolished 1595.; Private Collection, Florence; [ Dealer(Bardini?), Florence (by 1870)]; John Ruskin, Brantwood, Coniston Lake (by 1873–1900); Mrs. Arthur Severn, Brantwood, Coniston Lake (until ca. 1904); [ R. Langton Douglas, London (sold 1910)]

  • See also
    Who
    What
    Where
    When
    In the Museum
    Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History
    MetPublications
463414

Close