Quantcast

Standing Bishop

Hans von Reutlingen (German, Aachen, 1465–1547) or Workshop

Date:
1508–12
Geography:
Made in Aachen, Germany
Culture:
German
Medium:
Silver and silver gilt
Dimensions:
Overall (without pin): 4 1/16 x 1 7/16 x 1 3/16 in. (10.3 x 3.6 x 3 cm) with pin: 5 1/4in. (13.3cm)
Classification:
Metalwork-Silver
Credit Line:
Purchase, Desmond Gerald Fitzgerald Charitable Fund Gift, 1987
Accession Number:
1987.217
  • Description

    This repoussé bishop is made from hammered sheets of silver with attached cast elements, including the hands and the lappets of the miter. The figure is nearly identical to six figures on the reliquary bust of St. Lambert, commissioned by Prince-Bishop Erard de la Marck for the now-destroyed cathedral of St. Lambert and now in the cathedral treasury of St. Paul. It was begun by the Aachen goldsmith Hans von Reutlingen and his workshop in 1508 and was delivered on April 22, 1512. This large reliquary bust has been dismantled and restored many times since the late 16th century. Because most of the corresponding extant bishops are cast, not repoussé, this bishop is thought to be an original figure that was removed on one of these occasions. He probably represents one of the local bishop-saints. Originally he held a crosier in his left hand; one of the two lappets of his miter is missing.

  • Provenance

    Probably from the reliquary bust of St. Lambert at the Cathedral of St. Paul at Liège; Thomas F. Flannery, Jr. 1926–1980 , Chicago (sold 1983) ; [his sale, Sotheby's, London (December 1, 1983, lot 22)] ; [ Blumka II Gallery , New York (sold 1987)]

  • See also
    Who
    What
    Where
    When
    In the Museum
    Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History
    MetPublications
469907

Close