The band along the lower edge of the bust is inscribed, on the front: [C]APUD SANTE IULIANE [head of St. Juliana] and, on the back: ROMA. A. D[OMINO]. GUILLE[LMO] [Rome, year of Our Lord, William]. In 1376, the skull of St. Juliana, the gift of the brothers of San Domenico to the Perugian convent dedicated to the saint, was carried in procession and received by Abbess Gabriella. This beguiling image, perhaps commissioned by the "William" named in the inscription, was placed in an elaborate tabernacle where it remained until the late 19th century.