Quantcast

Tomb Chapel of Raemkai

Period:
Old Kingdom
Dynasty:
Dynasty 5
Date:
ca. 2446–2389 B.C.
Geography:
From Egypt, Memphite Region, Saqqara, North of the Djoser pyramid complex, Mariette D3, Quibell/EAS 1907–1908
Medium:
Limestone, paint
Dimensions:
Chapel: H. 213.4 x N-S axis: 434 x E-W axis: 117 cm (84 x 170 7/8 x 46 1/16 in.) Entrance: N-S. 55 x E-W. 137 cm (21 5/8 x 53 15/16 in.)
Credit Line:
Rogers Fund, 1908
Accession Number:
08.201.1
  • Description

    The chapel of Raemkai was originally built and decorated for an official named Neferiretnes, traces of whose name and titles can still be made out on the false door. The reuse of the tomb for Raemkai was most probably by royal decree and took place before the reign of Isesi (ca. 2381 BC). The fine relief decorating the tomb includes a large scene of the hunt in the steppes with lasso and dogs: in one vignette an ibex is lassoed, in another dogs attack a hyena and a Dorcas gazelle while a man leaning on his staff looks on and a hare and a reclining gazelle may be seen in the background.

    For details of the individual walls, see 08.201.1a-h.

  • Provenance

    Discovered by Mariette between 1858 and 1863; recleared in 1907-08 by Quibell on behalf of the Egyptian Antiquities Service and sold to the Museum in 1908.

  • See also
    What
    Where
    When
    In the Museum
    Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History
    MetPublications
590874:26

Close