In 1908-1914, Howard Carter and the Earl of Carnarvon excavated in a section of the Theban necropolis known as lower Asasif. This area contained a Middle Kingdom tomb with a huge courtyard that was reused as a cemetery for about a century between late Dynasty 17 and the early joint reign of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III in Dynasty 18 (ca. 1575-1475 B.C.). Carter and Carnarvon excavated half of the cemetery before moving on the Valley of the Kings. In 1915-1916, the Museum’s Egyptian Expedition excavated the other half. The objects displayed in gallery 114 come from both of these excavations.This toiletry set includes a tube for the eye cosmetic kohl, a razor, tweezers, a whetstone, and a mirror. The objects were in a rush basket found during the Carter/Carnarvon excavations.