Ringl and Pit were the childhood nicknames of Grete Stern (Ringl) and Ellen Auerbach (Pit). Together, they established a photography studio in 1930 in Berlin. Both studied privately with Walter Peterhans, a photography instructor at the Bauhaus, whose promulgation of a highly rationalized style of advertising photography--one that signified "machine made" in its emphasis on sleek form and graphic design--was proposed as a solution to the question of art's role in industrial society. This advertisement for Dents, a leather glove manufacturer, was made in England, where Stern and Auerbach (both Jewish) emigrated in 1933. In their representation of the "modern woman," a new social type emerging out of the political upheaval of the Weimar Republic, the duo employed visual strategies subversive to traditional conceptions of woman. Often using mannequins, wigs, and other symbols of femininity, Stern and Auerbach worked to question the artifice and masquerade of feminine identity.
Inscription: Signed in ink on print, verso, C: "Grete Stern"; inscribed in pencil on print, verso, UC; UR; LL; LC: "61 [encircled]"; "9. [encircled]"; "SG/2505/0"; "61 [encircled, upside down]"; inscribed in ink on print, verso, LL [sideways]: "#60 [crossed out in pencil] // [inscribed in pencil] R + P // Foto, Prop. G.S. // London 1934"; marked in pencil on print, verso, UC: [arrow toward upper edge]
[Sander Gallery to Waddell, April 6, 1984]; John C. Waddell.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art. "Johnson Gallery, Selections from the Collection 26," May 15, 2000–September 18, 2000.
Marcoci, Roxana, and Sarah Hermanson Meister. From Bauhaus to Buenos Aires: Grete Stern and Horacio Coppola. New York: Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2015. no. 28, p. 50.
Dents is a British accessory company, specializing in the manufacture of handmade leather gloves, established in Worcester, England in 1777.
According to Ellen Auerbach, "Dents" was made in England after both photographers had emigrated from Germany in 1933. Sander Catalogue gives title and date "Dents and Gloves," 1934, and notes that Berlin studio of Ringl + Pit was in operation only from 1931-33.