Overall: H. 3 3/4 in. (9.5 cm); W. 1 15/16 in. (5 cm); D. 1 5/16 in. (3.3 cm)
On loan from the British Museum, London (1831,1101.98)
Not on view
Found on the Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides, Scotland, before 11 April 1831 (when first shown publically at the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Edinburgh); acquired by the British Museum between November 1831 and January 1832.
Publication History: Madden, Sir Frederic, "Historical remarks on the introduction of the game of chess into Europe and on the ancient chessmen discovered in the Isle of Lewis," in Archaeologia XXIV (1832), Bishop no. 7, p. 224, pl. XLVII, fig. 3; Dalton, O.M. Catalogue of the Ivory Carvings of the Christian Era in the British Museum (London, 1909), no. 98, p. 69, pls. XLII and XLIII.