Western European (probably Burgundy)
Steel; H. 10 1/4 in. (26 cm); Wt. 6 lb. 7 oz. (2.9 kg)
Rogers Fund, 1904 (04.3.228)
This war hat, also called a chapel-de-fer, originally may have had rich trimmings and fittings of gilt silver. These have been lost, leaving only the exposed steel of this distinctive helmet in its pure and vigorously molded form. Adeptly designed and executed, the hat's spiral-patterned bowl and deeply swept brim were shaped out of a single plate of steel. Its elegance suggests a provenance from the most sophisticated court of western Europe, that of the dukes of Burgundy. Helmets like this one were used for ceremonial occasions, such as parades and triumphal entries, and for battle, exemplifying the highly accomplished metalwork practiced for the benefit of Burgundian court life.