Fish plate, ca. 350–325 b.c.; red–figure
Attributed to the Helgoland Painter
Greek, South Italian, Campanian
Terracotta; H. 2 1/4 in. (5.7 cm), Diam. 8 3/4 in. (22.2 cm)
Rogers Fund, 1906 (06.1021.241)
Fish plates are designed so that the juices flow into the central cavity, which may also have contained a special sauce. The shape first entered the Greek potter's repertoire at the end of the fifth century B.C. in Athens, but very quickly became popular in southern Italy. Two bream and a torpedo fish are featured around the center of this fish plate, with two scallops, a mussel, murex, and shrimp illustrated in the background.