Jan Davidsz de Heem (Dutch, 1606–1683/84)
Oil on canvas
53 1/4 x 73 in. (135.3 x 185.4 cm)
Charles B. Curtis Fund, 1912 (12.195)
This large canvas has long been attributed to Jan Davidsz. de Heem (16061683/84), the Dutch-born artist who moved to Antwerp in 163536 and who exercised an enormous influence on the next two generations of still-life painters. Among them were two sons of the artist, Cornelis de Heem (16311695) and his younger stepbrother, Jan Jansz. The latter has recently been assigned responsibility for the present picture, but the attribution has met with resistance. The painting may have been done by Jan Davidsz. de Heem about 1640.