Lead-glazed white earthenware, with inlaid designs in brown clay
H. 6 3/8 in. (16.2 cm)
Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.190.1745a,b)
The tazza form, a shallow bowl on a pedestal, was popular in many European countries; in England, it was called a flat cup. Although the cover and lower foot of this tazza are replacements, enough of the body survives to place the piece among the very small number made using the inlaid-clay technique. This technique appears to have been practiced only in the French pottery at Saint-Porchaire, which did not survive the civil wars of the second half of the sixteenth century. Its wares often bear the arms or insignia of royal or noble houses.