Manufactured in the Medici workshops, Florence, Italy
Soft–paste porcelain; H. 8 in. (20.3 cm)
Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.190.2045)
Porcelain was first produced in Europe in Florence under the patronage of Francesco de' Medici, grand duke of Tuscany (r. 157487). This ewer, one of only approximately sixty known pieces of so-called Medici porcelain, combines numerous influences: the form is related to goldsmiths' work and to maiolica, the blue-and-white scheme is Chinese, and the floral decoration is borrowed from Isnik pottery.