Kievan Rus'; Made in Kiev, found in 1842 in or near the Desiatynna (Dormition) Church, Kiev
Cloisonné enamel on gold
2 1/2 x 2 1/8 in. (6.4 x 5.4 cm)
Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.190.679)
This circular object known as a temple pendant attests to the wealth and sophistication of medieval Kievan patrons. Fine cloisonné enamelwork adorned each of a pair suspended beside the face as part of the elaborate headdress of a Rus' woman.