French; Made in Limoges
Gilded copper and champlevé enamel
30 11/16 x 18 1/8 x 9 13/16 in. (78 x 46 x 25 cm)
Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.190.735)
This tabernacle is the most celebrated of the objects found at Cherves in 1896, near the site of a ruined priory of the Grandmont order at Gandory. The accomplished openwork medallions depict events following the Crucifixion, including the Holy Women at the tomb on Easter Sunday (center left) and the Doubting Thomas (upper right). With their strong emphasis on the physical Christ, these scenes are most appropriate for this cupboard, which was used for storing the bread of the Eucharist. It is one of the two tabernacles of Limoges work to survive.