Glass, colorless with brown tinge; blown, blown applied foot, enameled and gilded
H. 14 1/8 in. (35.9 cm), Max. Diam. 10 1/16 in. (25.6 cm), Diam. with handles 10 5/16 in. (26.2 cm)
Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.190.991)
Large glass lamps of this type were commissioned by sultans and members of their court for mosques, madrasas (Qur'anic schools), tombs, hospices, and other public buildings in fourteenth-century Mamluk Cairo. This example bears the name of its patron, Qawsun (d. 1342), amir of the Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad ibn Qalaun (r. 12931341 with brief interruptions), and was probably intended for one of his two architectural commissions in Cairoa mosque or a tomb-hospice complex.