Maker: Attributed to Thomas Affleck (1740–1795)
Date: ca. 1770
Geography: Made in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Medium: Mahogany, northern white cedar
Dimensions: 37 x 22 1/2 x 23 in. (94 x 57.2 x 58.4 cm)
Credit Line: Purchase, Sansbury-Mills and Rogers Funds, Emily Crane Chadbourne Gift, Virginia Groomes Gift, in memory of Mary W. Groomes, Mr. and Mrs. Marshall P. Blankarn, John Bierwirth and Robert G. Goelet Gifts, The Sylmaris Collection, Gift of George Coe Graves, by exchange, Gift of Mrs. Russell Sage, by exchange, and funds from various donors, 1974
Accession Number: 1974.325
This magnificently carved chair is part of a suite of furniture made for the Second Street house of General John Cadwalader (1742–1786), which was reputed to have the richest parlor furnishings in pre-Revolutionary Philadelphia. In its ample proportions, saddle seat, and scalloped skirts, the chair is English, but its construction and naturalistic carving are pure Philadelphia.