New York City and Albany, New York
Gilded, gesso, mirror glass with white pine; H. 54 in. (137.2 cm), Diam. 28 in. (71.1 cm)
Gift of Mrs. Frederick Moseley, Jr., 1974 (1974.363.1)
This girandole mirror and its mate, 1974.363.2, were made for the Albany townhouse of Stephen Van Rensselaer IV (1786–1868). Popular during the Federal period, girandole mirrors were often surmounted by eagle finials. Their name derives from the candle arms that extend from the frame, allowing the candlelight to reflect off the convex mirror and illuminate an entire room.