Artist: Giulio Cesare Procaccini (Italian, Bologna 1574–1625 Milan)
Medium: Oil on canvas
Dimensions: 101 1/8 x 56 3/8 in. (256.9 x 143.2 cm)
Credit Line: Purchase, Enid A. Haupt Gift, 1979
Accession Number: 1979.209
This altarpiece shows the Institution of the Rosary, established by Saint Dominic (1170–1221) in the thirteenth century. The devotion was particularly popular in seventeenth-century Italy. The painting was commissioned soon after 1612, by Gaspare Spanzotta for the Chapel of Saints Francis and Dominic in the church of the Madonna dei Miracoli at Corbetta, near Milan. The tight composition and brilliant brushwork are characteristic of Procaccini’s style, which evolved under the influence of work by Ludovico Carracci and Parmigianino.