Charles Sumner Greene (American, 1868–1957) and Henry Mather Greene (American, 1870–1954); Made by Emil Lange
Mahogany, ebony, and leaded glass; 28 1/2 x 25 1/2 in. (72.4 x 64.8 cm)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Barton C. English, 1986 (1986.445)
The Robert R. Blacker House was the first and largest of the "ultimate bungalows" designed by the California architect-designers Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Greene. This chandelier in the shape of an open lantern is one of the six shades from the living room of the Blacker House. Designed by Greene and Greene, the panels of lighting fixture were made by Emil Lange (who had previously worked for Tiffany Studios). Abstracted water lilies and leaves in a palette of cream, green, and brown are asymmetrically arranged to reflect Japanese influence. Surrounding the leaded glass are delicately curving ribs that terminate in a modified C-scroll. Greene and Greene design is characterized by spare, understated, and elegant forms with subtle decoration.