Ring of Pope Paul II, 1464–71
Blue glass mounted in gilt brass; L. 1 15/16 in. (4.9 cm)
Purchase, 1989, Bequests of George Blumenthal and Bernard M. Baruch, by exchange, and Rogers Fund, 1989 (1989.79)
At the corners of the bezel are emblems of the four Evangelists, and on the sides are the shield of Paul II and that of the French crown. Papal rings may have been used at investitures or in establishing diplomatic credentials.