H. 3 3/4 in. (9.5 cm), W. 3 1/16 in. (7.8 cm)
Rogers Fund, 1921 (21.88.175)
The plaque contains a complex iconography of divine figures and Mithraic symbols, probably to be associated with Thracian or Dacian beliefs of the Lower Danube region. Presiding over the whole scene is Sol Invictus (the invincible sun-god) in a quadriga (four-horse chariot). His cult originated in the Near East and gained increasing influence under imperial patronage during the third century A.D. The state worship of Sol was only supplanted by Constantine's adoption of Christianity in 312 A.D.