Designed by William Morris (British, 1834–1896); Produced by Morris & Company, Merton Abbey, England
106 1/2 x 37 1/2 in. (270.5 x 95.3 cm)
Purchase, Edward C. Moore Jr. Gift, 1923 (23.163.5)
William Morris designed this pattern in anticipation of the opening of the Merton Abbey works in 1881, though it was not registered with the Patent Office Register of Designs until 1882. The pattern was specifically intended for the indigo discharge method, which he perfected at Merton Abbey; it eventually was produced in at least four other colorways, including the Museum's red and white example. Morris' use of the paired animals and birds among fantastic foliage in this design clearly illustrates his interest in medieval European textiles.