Alexander J. Davis (American, 18031892)
Watercolor, ink, and graphite on paper; 18 7/8 x 26 5/8 in. (47.9 x 67.6 cm)
Harris Brisbane Dick Fund, 1924 (24.66.14)
In 1864, Davis was commissioned by George Merritt to enlarge Knoll, the house he had built for the Paulding family between 1838 and 1842. In essence, he created a new house, the greatest house in the late Gothic Revival style still standing. Dramatically massed, it sits majestically upon a knoll, surrounded by many acres of Downingesque landscape, one of the few reminders of the glory of the preindustrial Hudson River valley. Lyndhurst is now owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and is open to the public.