Limestone; H. 12 5/8 in. (32 cm)
Purchase, Edward S. Harkness Gift, 1926 (26.7.1399)
This fine relief of Thutmose III probably came from his valley temple. He also constructed a mortuary temple against the cliffs of Deir el-Bahri at Thebes adjacent to that of Hatshepsut, with whom he shared the kingship for part of his reign. It shows the king wearing the khat headcloth with a very menacing coiled uraeus on his brow.
The fragment was found reused in a Ramesside temple on the same site as Thutmose's valley temple. It was excavated in 1906 by Lord Carnarvon and came to the Museum after his death along with many other items in his collection.