Silk, lampas weave; 40 1/8 x 14 1/4 in. (102 x 36.3 cm)
Fletcher Fund, 1929 (29.22)
This silk textile fragment, of which the full loom width (hung vertically) is preserved, displays two scripts. The knotted kufic inscription woven in black repeats the word beatitude and runs on a wide red-ground border. The decorative calligraphy is in harmony with the geometric design of the fabric. The naskhi script, which reads, "good luck and prosperity," is less easily discernible, filling the small cartouches outlined in white lines within the narrower borders on both sides of the larger kufic band. The overall geometric design of the textile has close connections with architectural decoration, especially the stuccowork and wall tiles of Nasrid buildings. Similar woven textiles continued to be produced under Christian patronage after the fall of the Nasrid kingdom in 1492, testifying to their aesthetic appeal for Christians as well as Muslims.