Wine cup, ca. 1740
Samuel Edwards (American, 1705–1762)
Silver; Overall 8 1/16 x 4 1/16 in. (20.5 x 10.3 cm)
Inscription: Belongs / To the Church / in Lynde Street / Boston
Bequest of Alphonso T. Clearwater (33.120.230a)
This stately communion cup—one of a pair—was made by Samuel Edwards for the West Church on Lynde Street in Boston. In style, it represents a natural evolution from the mid-seventeenth-century model (L.2008.22). Boston's West Church, which was founded in 1737, also owned a similar wine cup made by Samuel's father, the silversmith John Edwards (ca. 1671–1746). Especially noteworthy is the beautifully engraved cartouche that surrounds the presentation inscription.