Giovanni Battista Tiepolo (Italian, 1696–1770)
Pen and brown ink, brush with pale (yellow) and dark brown wash, over black chalk
9 5/16 x 12 5/16 in. (23.7 x 31.3 cm)
Rogers Fund, 1937 (37.165.32)
This beautiful drawing, so assured and appealing as an independent work of art, is part of a large group of drawings. The Museum owns forty-two that Tiepolo seems to have kept in his studio as a repertory of compositional motifs. Tiepolo made use of this figure group on two separate occasions, first at the Palazzo Clerici in Milan, where they appear at the edge of a painted cornice, and some twelve years later in the frescoed ceiling of the Kaisersaal in the Würzburg Residenz.