Possibly designed by Francesco di Giorgio Martini (Italian, Sienese, 1439–1501/2); Executed by Giuliano da Maiano (Italian, 1432–1490)
Made in Gubbio, Italy
Walnut, beech, rosewood, oak, and fruitwoods on walnut base
H. 15 ft. 10 15/16 in. (485 cm), W. 16 ft. 11 15/16 in. (518 cm), D. 12 ft. 7 3/16 in. (384 cm)
Rogers Fund, 1939 (39.153)
The studiolo is a room intended for meditation and study. Its walls are executed in a wood-inlay technique known as intarsia. The latticework doors of the cabinets, shown open or partly closed, indicate the contemporary interest in linear perspective. The cabinets display objects reflecting Duke Federigo's wide-ranging artistic and scientific interests, and the depictions of books recall his extensive library. Emblems of the Montefeltro are also represented. This room may have been designed by Francesco di Giorgio (1439–1502) and was executed by Giuliano da Maiano (1432–1490). A similar room, in situ, was made for the duke's palace at Urbino.