Central Italian; Sangemini, from the abbey church of San Nicolò
11 ft. 9 in. x 8 ft. 4 in. (360.4 x 254 cm)
Fletcher Fund, 1947 (47.100.45)
This doorway is an example of the reuse of materials during the life of a single medieval church. All of the marble used to make the doorway originally came from the ruins of Roman buildings in the vicinity of the church. Displaying divergent styles and techniques, the principal elements were carved at different times in the 1000s, with the lions made even earlier. The whole was assembled for the church some 100 to 200 years later.