Copper alloy, glass inlay
10 1/2 x 4 9/16 x 10 13/16 in. (29.7 x 11.6 x 27.4 cm)
The Cloisters Collection, 1947 (47.101.52)
This impressive lion belongs to the same north German group as the lion (52.24.1) and the dragon (47.101.51). Here the handle takes the form of a dragon and water was poured from a spout held in the lion's jaws. The engraving here is more extensive than on the lion, extending to the geometric pattern on the front legs (the lower left front leg is a restoration). The two menacing pairs of curling incisor teeth are also a detail shared with other products of the Magdeburg workshops.