Made by the anonymous goldsmith "IG" (active ca. 1571–92)
H. 11 3/8 in. (28.9 cm)
Inscribed under the base: Gift to the cittie for ever Thomas Varam
Gift of Chester D. Tripp, 1952 (52.134a–e)
This salt was originally part of the plate of the Corporation of the City of London. Standing salts, used at banquets or feasts, were placed in the middle of the main table in front of the host.