Oak with traces of polychromy; 29 1/2 x 7 in. (75 x 17.8 cm)
The Cloisters Collection, 1952 (52.33.1,2)
These figures, which probably once held either candlesticks or instruments of the Passion, derive in style from the smiling angels on the west facade of Reims Cathedral. Such works were placed around an altar. They stood on top of small columns that supported rods on which curtains were hung. The angels were originally painted in rich colors and gold. Their upward trailing wings are now lost.