Master of Riglos (Spanish, Aragonese, ca. 1450)
Tempera and oil on wood, gold ground; Overall 18 3/4 x 15 7/8 in. (47.6 x 40.3 cm)
Gift of Walter C. Baker, 1952 (52.35)
The Master of Riglos takes his name from an altarpiece formerly in the convent of Saint Martin, Riglos (Aragon). Four of its eight panels have been traced: its centerpiece, Saint Martin Dividing His Cloak (Museo Nacional de Arte de Cataluña, Barcelona); its pinnacle, a wide Crucifixion (National Gallery, London); and two of its lateral panels, Saint Martin's Vision of the Virgin (Barnes Foundation, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) and The Death of the Virgin (Pinacoteca Nazionale, Bologna). The present painting is the second in a sequence of five panels from a dismembered banco (predella) that may have formed part of the same altarpiece. The four others are, in sequence: (1) Saint Barbara (formerly Nathan Ottinger collection, New York), (4) Saint John the Evangelist (formerly Ottinger collection), (3) The Man of Sorrows (Campion Hall, Oxford), and (5) Saint Catherine of Alexandria (Hans Brantschen collection, Monte Carlo). The paint surface of the present painting is much abraded, but the picture preserves its original gold ground and part of its engaged frame.