Francesco Guardi (Italian, Venetian, 17121793)
Oil on canvas; Irregular, 61 1/4 x 74 1/2 in. (155.6 x 189.2 cm)
Gift of Julia A. Berwind, 1953 (53.225.3)
This and two companion paintings that also hang in the Museum come from the castle of Colloredo near Udine, where they were installed in an eighteenth-century salotto, or drawing room. Probably painted in the 1760s, they are some of Guardi's finest landscapes. Prior to their installation at Colloredo, changes were made in the format of all three paintings, the height of the present painting being increased. Strips were added at the same time to the top and bottom of the two smaller paintings. The additions were painted by Guardi.